Monday, July 25, 2011

ICD-10-PCS: Answer to Root Operation #2

Friday's quiz was to identify the root operation for tracheostomy. Give up?

Well, this one is not at all what I would call intuitive and it goes to show how coder thinking will need to change. In ICD-9-CM Volume 3, if I were to look for tracheostomy in the index, I would look under Tracheostomy (clever). Incidentally, in ICD-10-PCS I can do that to, but it directs me to the root operation:

Bypass: Altering the route of passage of the contents of a tubular body part.

I don't know about you, but I didn't see that one coming. It makes sense after reading the definition of bypass, of course, definitely not intuitive.

Want to see the rest? Assuming in this case, the tracheostomy was performed percutaneously and without the aid of a scope, the code for tracheostomy would be 0B113F4. The body part value for bypass is always the "from" and the qualifier is always the "to."


Extra credit:
First choice at Dairy Queen? Oreo Cookie Blizzard, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment