Wednesday, August 3, 2011

ICD-10-PCS: Answer to Root Operation #8

Yesterday's root operation was open reduction with internal fixation (ORIF) of a right distal radius fracture. In ICD-9-CM, we would look this up under main term Reduction. We can also find the main term Reduction in the ICD-10-PCS index, but it refers us to the root operation:

Reposition: Moving to its normal location or other suitable location all or a portion of a body part.

ORIF of a right distal radius fracture, then is reported with ICD-10-PCS code 0PSH04Z:


Now let me mention that this is a partial table - I only copied the portions that reference the radius. This table actually spans a couple of pages in in my ICD-10-PCS book to cover many specific body parts of the upper bones. You will also notice that the right radius body part appears in multiple rows. The difference for each row is the device character. So there are lots of options for reducing a fracture - that means we as coders need to know what these procedures are and how to tell the difference!

Extra Credit: Mmmmmm Coldstone.... When I go to Coldstone, I become Sally Allbright! I never order off their menu with the pre-prescribed mix-ins because that's a little too busy for me. My choice is impacted by the specific mix-ins. Coffee ice cream with mini chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles is my first choice. If they don't have mini chocolate chips, though, regular ones won't do (you guessed it, it messes up the chocolate-to-ice-cream ratio!) and I just have to go with chocolate sprinkles. Sometimes I will mix it up with my mix-ins and have them throw in some white chocolate chips (this does not mess with the chocolate-to-ice-cream ratio!).


No comments:

Post a Comment