Saturday, October 1, 2011

Live from AHIMA Salt Lake City!

Today marks the first day of AHIMA's Coding Community meeting, which kicks off the annual convention. This year we're meeting in Salt Lake City and as usual, I am like a little kid in a candy store here. Every year AHIMA is a bigger deal to me since it's a chance to reconnect with former coworkers and meet new professional contacts. And since this year my focus is heavily on workforce development, I thought it would be fun to send out reports from my experiences through my blog and maybe you can join me at AHIMA next year.

So here goes...

This afternoon I will be presenting on coding and charging in the cardiac cath lab and I'm sure my audience will find it the best presentation at this conference (tongue in cheek!). But for me, my favorite presentation happened this morning with the national coding update. Every year we have the coding gurus from AHIMA, the American Hospital Association and the AMA talking about upcoming coding changes for ICD-9-CM and CPT. I love getting that firsthand information and feel a little like I'm getting some super secret information - along with the other 500 people in the room.

More for SLC as the conference progresses... Stay tuned!