Wednesday, October 31, 2018

How to Get Started in a Medical Coding Career


I'm trying something new and launching a video blog.  You may have noticed that I haven't written much lately and that's mostly because I can't write anything quickly without a million edits.  And with a full time job and small child, ain't no one got time for that!  Not that the videos aren't without outtakes and redos, but they do seem to be quicker (when I put all vanity aside and ignore the bad hair days).  The frequency of videos is yet to be determined, but you can bet it will be related to how often I decide to do hair and makeup while working from home!  It only took me just over a month to get the nerve to post this first video.

This episode was inspired by countless social medial posts where people are asking how to get started as a medical coder, so that is answered here.  Where do you find a program?  AHIMA or AAPC?  CCS or CPC?  Don't enroll in a medical coding program without watching this video first!  And share this video with anyone you know who wants to be a medical coder.

In the video, I mention two websites and here are direct links to the pages that will help you locate coding schools:

Both websites have information about coding schools with face to face instruction as well as web-based instruction.  Best of luck to you!