Thursday, December 13, 2012

Twelve Codes of Christmas: On the Second Day of the Coder's Christmas... (F20.9)

I am still not 100% after almost 3 weeks of a really bad upper respiratory infection.  But last night I did hit an improvement milestone.  I was able to sing my favorite Christmas carols at top volume in the car on my way to dinner.  Yes, I am a car concert giver.  A legend in my own mind.

I have lots of favorites, but one last night was worth a repeat performance:  Do you Hear What I Hear by Vanessa Williams.  It's my favorite version of the song but I don't like the shortened version they play on the radio - the long version from the CD I've had for years is really the only way to listen to the song.

So this leads us to our carol and code for the second day of Christmas:
  • Do You Hear What I Hear, the Voices, the Voices (F20.9, Schizophrenia, unspecified)
The mental disorders chapter of ICD-10-CM has undergone a lot of changes from its ICD-9-CM counterpart.  Schizophrenia is part of the psychoses section in ICD-9-CM, but ICD-10-CM eliminated the neurosis vs. psychosis terminology and moved to terminology more in line with DSM-IV.  The code above it now listed in the Schizophrenia, schizotypal, delusional, and other non-mood psychotic disorders section in ICD-10-CM.

Wait... do you hear it what I hear?  Thankfully it's not voices.  Bells!  An angel must have just gotten its wings.  Either that or one of the cats is scratching its ears and jingling the bells on its collar.